POCA Tech prepares graduates to practice as independent health care practitioners.
Our educational objectives are for POCA Tech graduates to be able to:
- demonstrate an understanding of acupuncture theory within its social and historical context; to apply critical reflection to all aspects of acupuncture theory and practice; and to be able to pass the relevant NCCAOM exams;
- examine dynamics of oppression; define cultural competence, cultural appropriation, and privilege;
- identify and model all functions of a community acupuncture clinic; administer appropriate styles of community acupuncture; evaluate patients’ needs and collaborate with patients to create effective treatment plans; establish a therapeutic relationship with patients; have good needling skills; and demonstrate an understanding of their ethical, legal, and cooperative responsibilities;
- model how to practice acupuncture in a trauma-informed way;
- enter their careers as healthcare providers not unreasonably burdened by debt from the POCA Tech program; in order to support this objective, POCA Tech will keep the total cost of tuition and associated program expenses under the amount a graduate can reasonably expect to earn in their first year of employment (about $25,000); and
- demonstrate information and research literacy in order to successfully participate in the development of liberation acupuncture as a school of thought and practice.
- demonstrate strong commitment to serve the POCA Cooperative as licensed acupuncturists after graduation, based on genuine gratitude to the patients and volunteers of the Co-op for making their education possible